Note: Information provided on this page is for general education only, growth of baby inside womb depends upon many factor and growth of your baby may differ slightly than indicated below, please seek medical assistance when in doubt.
In 5th month of pregnancy ...
Pregnancy month five starts at (pregnancy) week 18 till week 21, it includes few days from week 22 as well. The baby will grow to average length of about 10.51 inches or 26.7 centimeter measured Crown to Heel weighing about 12.70 ounces or 360 grams towards the ends of this month.
In 1st week of this month (pregnancy week 18)
- Baby is now growing rapidly and is now rolling and kicking, stretching and turning, in case you still do not feel them, the feeling should be coming to you any moment.
- Baby's bones are continuing the ossification process, meaning they're getting denser and stronger. Make sure to include more dairy products or calcium rich diet in your daily food such as milk, cheese, yoghurt, custard, ice-cream, fish, and almonds. Green leafy vegetables also contain calcium.
- Fat is being deposited throughout the baby’s body and teeth have started to form. The fetus begins to hear sounds in your body (such as your heart beating) and may even startle at loud noises.
- The pads of the fingers and toes are formed and the fingerprints are developing as well.
- Baby will grow to average length of about 5.59 inches or 14.2 centimeter Crown to Rump (CR) and weighs about 6.70 ounces or 190 grams towards the ends of this week.
In 2nd week of this month (pregnancy week 19)
- Baby's permanent teeth buds are forming behind the already formed milk teeth buds and the baby's skin is so translucent that their veins are clearly visible.
- Baby's kidneys are visible on ultrasound this week onwards and are producing urine which forms a fair percentage of the amniotic fluid.
- Lanugo appears all over the baby's body. This fine hair will remain until birth draws nearer. Sometimes these hairs can still be seen on baby's face and ears after birth.
- Brown fats are added to baby’s body and this will help baby to keep their vital organs protected from temperature extremes in the newborn period.
- Baby is developing more hair on its little head as well as on their body, your baby may have a mop of thick hairs on his head at birth, even some babies are born bald and stay that way for months.
- Baby spends a lot of its time sleeping, even there are times when it is more active and has cycles of moving around and even kicking.
- Ultrasound pictures of babies taken now onwards show them touching the membrane of the amniotic sac, touching their own faces, reaching for the umbilical cord, pedaling their legs, and sucking their thumbs.
- If the baby is a girl, early ovaries contain primitive egg cells.
- Baby will grow to average length of about 6.02 inches or 15.3 centimeter Crown to Rump (CR) and weighs about 8.47 ounces or 240 grams towards the ends of this week.
In 3rd week of this month (pregnancy week 20)
- Baby is growing rapidly and now started building its own immunity and slowly their immunities are becoming self sustainable and are being slowly transferred from you.
- Lanugo forms from sebum and skin cells to create vernix, this is a creamy white substance coating that protects the tender skin from its aqueous environment. Sweat glands are now formed.
- Baby’s external ears are now perfectly formed; they are designed to channel sound waves towards the inner ear where noise can already be heard. This is why it is important to talk to your baby every day, so it can learn to recognize your voice and become familiar when born.
- You may be aware of sleep-wake cycles in your little one. There are lots of baby‘s movements from this week onwards and thought they are not strong enough to cause you any discomfort, the strengths of these movements and their frequency keeps increasing every week.
- Baby is now surrounded by around 320ml of amniotic fluid; the temperature of the fluid is slightly higher than your own core temperature, this helps the baby to stay warmer.
- Baby will grow to average length of about 6.46 inches or 16.4 centimeter Crown to Rump (CR) or 10.08 inches or 25.6 centimeter Crown to Heel and weighs about 10.58 ounces or 300 grams towards the ends of this week.
In 4th week of this month (pregnancy week 21)
- Baby is now about the size of a big Cavendish banana with the bend in them, baby is still tiny but is growing constantly all the time.
- Baby is moving all over in the amniotic fluid and is also swallowing it. This cycle of swallowing, digesting and then recycling the fluid as urine will take place throughout the rest of pregnancy.
- Baby's brain and muscles are now working in synchronization; the baby’s movements are now less jerky and are more deliberate and strong, in case you lie in a position that your baby doesn't like, you may find baby wriggling around and finding their own comfortable space.
- Towards the end of this trimester the baby will begin to settle, usually in a head down position. Although some babies do not turn head down until late in the last trimester.
- Waste products are already forming in your baby's bowel, to be passed in their first bowel motion; known as meconium.
- Baby will grow to average length of about 10.51 inches or 26.7 centimeter Crown to Heel and weighs about 12.70 ounces or 360 grams towards the ends of this week.
|◄ Fetal Growth in Previous Month
|Fetal Growth Next Month ►
|Fetal Growth in ...