Note: Information provided on this page is for general education only, growth of baby inside womb depends upon many factor and growth of your baby may differ slightly than indicated below, please seek medical assistance when in doubt.
In this week ...
- Baby now is of size of a small prune or a cumquat.
- The eyelids begin to fuse to protect the eyes. The eyes are largely open, but the eyelids are beginning to fuse, and will stay that way until 25-27 weeks.
- The fetus begin doing occasional breathing movements, although it gets oxygen through the umbilical cord. The skin becomes less translucent, and genitals begins to form. External ears are formed, as is the upper lip and the baby tail has disappeared or is disappearing soon.
- Baby's fingers and toes are clearly formed and they are developing finger and toe nails. Baby can bend its limbs this week, at its elbows and is able to flex its wrists.
- Baby's head is still large in proportion to the rest of its body, but now has a neck and all of the face bones are formed.
- A layer of fine hair known as lanugo is now covering baby's body. Inner and outer ear, tooth buds and eyes are all fully developed.
- Baby's vital organs are now located where they should be and for the remaining period of pregnancy, they will continue to mature and develop in preparation for extra-uterine life.
- Baby is now secreting digestive juices in stomach and getting ready for dealing with the amniotic fluid they'll be swallowing soon.
- Baby's kidneys are filtering their blood and producing urine. If your baby is a boy, his testicles are already doing their thing and producing testosterone, the important male sex hormone.
- Baby will grow to average length of about 1.22 inch or 3.1 centimeter Crown to Rump (CR) and weighs about 0.14 ounce or 4 grams towards the ends of this week.
|◄ Fetal Growth in Previous Week
|Fetal Growth Next Week ►
|Fetal Growth in ...